Thursday, April 7, 2016

Kelley Heckart Interview

Displaying TheWolfQueen_cover_small.jpg

1. What inspired you to write about Greek Mythology with a twist to one of the most famous fairy tales?


I have loved Greek mythology since high school English class. Artemis was always my favorite Greek goddess because of her independence and refusal to wed any of Zeus’s brothers. I had this idea about writing a series based in her homeland—the wild forests and mountains of Arcadia, home to all kinds of supernatural creatures. Lycaon, the first werewolf, is the former king of Arcadia. Because of his beastly appearance, I thought I could also throw in a Beauty and the Beast theme.

2. When writing a character like Lycaon, how were you able to keep true to “Beauty and the Beast”, but add a unique twist?


Lycaon isn’t the typical hero because he’s not handsome in the normal sense and everyone hates him. Until the heroine tames him, he is kind of a jerk. He’s been living a terrible curse for 300 years and very bitter about it, so it didn’t make sense for him to be a nice guy. He’s more of an anti-hero. Even though it was tempting to make him more likable and less a beast, I wanted to stay true to his character and make him “beastly.” Then as I was working out the story, I thought it would be cool to add a twist to the beauty part of the fairy tale.

3. Why did you want to become an author?

I’ve always been a creative person and an avid reader since I was four, but I never thought I would tackle writing novels. I was a musician before becoming a writer. Writing stories happened after I got sick and used writing as a form of therapy. I think writing song lyrics and poetry helped me get started with story writing and after doing it for some time, I decided I really liked it.

4. If you could pick your top 10 book boyfriends/crush. Who would they be and what book are they from?

I tend to like non-alpha male heroes like Jamie from Outlander, Louis from Interview with the Vampire, and all of my heroes (lol). I also liked the hero from this book called The Goblin King, but I can’t remember his name. And I liked Magnus from The Snow Bride. He was a battle-scarred warrior.

5. Do you have a favorite Myth from Greek Mythology?


Yes and it’s not one of the myths from my Arcadia series. It’s the myth about Ceyx and Alcyone. They loved each other so much that neither death nor the gods could separate them. I wrote a short story based on this myth called Birds of Calm. It’s a free read that can be found on the homepage of my website.

6. We hear Authors talking about all the characters chattering away in their heads. Which character of yours is the loudest?

All of them when I’m working on a book. I hear random dialogue in my head at the most inconvenient times and have to keep a notebook and pen with me.

7. What are some of you favorite books to read?


I will read just about anything from horror to romance. I like unusual stories and tend to read off the best-selling list. One of these gems I discovered was a werewolf tale set in 16th century Prague--Werelord Thal.



8. What’s your next book going to be about?

I have to complete The Crow Maiden, the third book in the Arcadia series. It will be out in November 2016. I’m not sure if that’s going to be the last one in that series. I do have some unfinished stories waiting to be finished. I started a couple of paranormal romances, and I have a series with cursed druids. I finished the first draft of the first book. I will have to see where my muse leads me after The Crow Maiden.

9. When you are writing, what do you think is the most difficult process?

I think self-editing and doing revisions are the most difficult. It’s so hard to see errors in your own work. That’s why working with an editor is so important.

10. How do you keep your characters in line, or how do you keep your world straight without losing your story?

I have to know my characters really well and take a lot of notes. I try to make sure I stick to what a particular character will or will not do. Sometimes it means that readers might not like a character if they do something they don’t approve of, but I think it’s important not to make a change that will be out of character just to please readers.



Book Title: The Wolf Queen
Author: Kelley Heckart
Author website: http://www.kelleyheckart.com
Genre: Greek myths/fantasy/paranormal/werewolves/romance
Release date: 12/17/15
Page Count: 246
ISBN-13: 978-1519606242
ISBN-10: 1519606249
ASIN: B019HML564

Kindle Buy Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019HML564?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Trade Paperback Buy Link on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Queen-Book-Arcadia/dp/1519606249/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=



Blurb

The Wolf Queen
Book 2: The Arcadia Series

A new twist on Beauty and the Beast and the Greek myth of Lycaon the werewolf. A Bronze Age fantasy, adventure, and romance set in Arcadia, the wild forests of the goddess Artemis… Game of Thrones meets The Iliad…

A tormented wolf man… A mysterious girl with a terrible secret…

Alara, a princess from a foreign land, is forced to wed the sorcerer-king Aramon, a power-hungry warlord, who discovers her dark secret and wants to use her to create an invincible army. When she meets Lycaon, she must decide if she should trust the cursed, tormented half-man half-wolf who might be her enemy or her true mate.

Lycaon, once a great king until he was cursed by Zeus to be a werewolf, is drawn to the mysterious princess. He is torn between helping Alara escape and using her to gain power over those who despise him.

Secrets abound and old enemies are reunited to battle Aramon before his terrible plan is unleashed. Time is running out as the dark moon approaches. Soon, Arcadia will be overrun with an unstoppable, vicious army unless Aramon can be defeated. To prevent his victory, the cost is high. As Lycaon’s affection for Alara grows, it becomes more difficult for him to decide which to save: Arcadia or her.

****

Multi-published author Kelley Heckart lives in Arizona with her musician husband, dog, and a number of backyard “pets.” Her stories reflect her passion for ancient and medieval time periods, storytelling, and the supernatural. Inspired by the ancient Celts, her tales are filled with fierce warriors, bold women, otherworldly creatures, magic, and romance. When not writing, she works as a freelance editor and practices target archery. She can be found online at http://www.kelleyheckart.com/


Kelley Heckart
Otherworldly tales steeped in myth & magic.
http://www.kelleyheckart.com
http://kelleysrealm.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/CelticChick
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelley-Heckart/111838455604
http://www.goodreads.com/kheckart

No comments:

Post a Comment