Friday, October 14, 2016

Jem's review of ABOVAM by Karen Tomlinson


Wow!

That word just sums up this whole book for me! But I feel this book deserve a whole lot more than just one word to describe it. So let me give you my thoughts on A Bond of Venom and Magic by Karen Tomlinson and hopefully once you've read this you'll click the link below to buy your copy.

I was lucky enough to be given an early copy of this book to read, and boy how lucky am I because if there is just one book in your life that you need to read, then this is it! This book is one of the best books that I have read in a while. Not only is it a breathtaking story, but it is very well written and edited.

This book grabbed me right from the very first few pages, and you just know that when a book does that you won't be able to put it down until you've consumed it all in one sitting, which is exactly what I did. ABOVAM has it all, action, fantasy, adventure, one hot, brooding, swoon worthy fae male and a building romance that'll have you begging for more.


Diamond, who is our main character is the perfect heroine. Yes, she is young and naive, but she has led a very sheltered and protected life until she is suddenly thrust right into the action and dangers of her world. I think she actually grows and adapts very well, especially with all the secrets she suddenly discovers about herself.  Towards the end of the book I think she'd really started to become a strong woman, rather than just a naive girl and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her character development, flaws and all, as really that's what makes the best characters in books that they're not all perfect and I think Karen Tomlinson has written some great characters.

Hugo (the brooding, swoon worthy fae) is a complex character and I can't wait to discover more about him in future books. I found myself wondering at points during the book, do I like him? By the end I'd made my decision and I can see the reasons he is the way that he is and that a lot of his actions are because he is protecting himself and those he cares deeply about. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next with him, Diamond and a lot of the other characters too.



The world building in this book is another thing that has been well perfected. This really is one of those books where you can imagine yourself right in the action. I could clearly see the scenes and surroundings in my minds eye whilst reading and it really did transport me away to another world. That cover is also an exquisite piece of art and really catches your eye. I can't wait to have the paperback copy of this book and to place it right there on my bookshelf so I can see it everyday.

This book gets the full five stars from me for enjoyment, character and world building, fantasy (guys, how could I forget to mention there are dragons in this book, my favourite), action and romance. What more could you ask for?

I think I am still recovering from the book hangover reading this gave me, but to me that's the sign of a good book because it drew me in to its pages and embedded itself firmly into the depths of my mind that I won't forget it. I'm now impatiently awaiting the next book, and even though I know that'll give me another book hangover, it's more than worth it for having the chance to read something so amazingly beautiful and awesome. Seriously, buy this book now and step into it the wonderful treasure that is A Bond of Venom and Magic.

Buy links:

Amazon: http://mybook.to/ABOVAM

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/a-bond-of-venom-and-magic-karen-tomlinson/1123805544?ean=2940153020051

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/search?Query=A+Bond+Of+Venom+and+Magic+%28Karen+Tomlinson%29&ac=1&acp=a+bond+of+venom+and+magic

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/636282

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/a-bond-of-venom-and-magic/id1114129973?mt=11

No comments:

Post a Comment