Saturday, August 20, 2016

Jem's review of Shadow Born by Jasmine Walt and Rebecca Hamilton


Chicago Police Detective Brooke Chandler is keeping a secret… and if she’s not careful, it could get her killed. 

Brooke is no stranger to the supernatural. In Chicago, vampires are just as prevalent as drug lords, and infinitely more bloodthirsty. So when her partner and fiancé dies in a mysterious fire while chasing down a lead in Salem, she suspects something dark and otherworldly is at play. 

Blessed with the ability to see into the past by touching inanimate objects, Brooke transfers to the Salem PD, hoping her talent will help her get to the bottom of things. Between dodging assassination attempts and being stonewalled at every turn, the going is tough. Add in a mysterious fae club owner with secrets of his own and a personal grudge against her, and it becomes nearly impossible. 

If Brooke wants to play in the supernatural sandbox, she’s going to have to roll up her sleeves and get dirty. But how many people will have to die for Brooke to discover the truth about her fiance? And is she even ready to know?

Wow did I enjoy this book. I wasn't quite sure that I would when I started reading it. I'm a big paranormal and urban fantasy fan and the very first chapter did not contain a lot of what you would usually find in one of those books so I was starting to think, oh no am I actually going to enjoy this? I needn't have worried at all as boy did this book draw me in and I consumed it like I do chocolate (which is in copious amounts as chocolate is  my blood)

Brooke, our main character, is a police detective who has transferred from Chicago to Salem as that is where her fiancé Tom was murdered and Brooke wants to investigate into his murder more. Brooke is already aware of some of the supernatural world, knowing that there are vampires out there and making sure she hunts them down, however she does not know what else is out there until she moves to Salem. Brooke is also hiding a secret about what she is capable of doing, but there are many secrets and mysteries about herself that are being hidden from her which we discover some of in this book, and will hopefully discover many more in books to come. She is also a spunky, sarcastic character and is not afraid to drop the f-bomb throughout the book, which doesn't bother me one bit as I am known to drop more of those than most people,  but be warned if you don't like to read books with swearing in.

Now one of my favourite supernatural beings are in this book, the Fae. There is one very hot, yummy, dark and brooding Scottish fae in this book that I myself would love to meet and I love the play between him and Brooke and hope that there is plenty more scenes with the two of them to come as they are hot together, but both are fighting what is undeniably an attraction between them which is one of my favourite kind of romances.

I really enjoyed this book and give it a full 5 stars out of 5. If I didn't already know that this book was written by two authors then I would never have been able to tell as the book flowed seamlessly. I'm already a huge fan of Jasmine Walt, which is how I discovered this book, and will now be looking up books by Rebecca Hamilton and definitely be giving those a read too.

If you're a fan of urban fantasy books then I recommend you give this book a try. I now have to sit and impatiently await for the next book in the series, which hopefully won't be too long dear authors as I'm dying to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment