Monday, August 15, 2016

Jem's review of Maggie by Mya O'Malley

maggie


Have you ever wondered what it would be like to share your home with an unearthly spirit who can’t find closure? Living on the edge of a cemetery with souls dating back to the 1700s would be enough to spook anyone, but Naomi finds it oddly romantic, and becomes inspired to write her next novel. Why not, when her muse, Maggie, calls to her from beyond her own window? After all, the story couldn’t possibly be as complicated as Naomi’s own love life. Torn between Ryan, the mysterious and seemingly perfect man she just started dating, and Bryce, the sexy single dad who recently moved in next door, Naomi must navigate the tangled web of dating—all while trying to solve the mystery of Maggie’s death. When things turn dangerous, Naomi quickly learns whom she can trust and, more importantly, whom she can’t. Will she be able to write Maggie’s story and finally give Maggie the peace she deserves?

So I've just finished reading Maggie by Mya O'Malley and I just fell in love with this seat gripping, suspenseful book.
I love paranormal books, when I say love I'm not kidding as about 95% of the books I read are paranormal, but I have never been a fan of books with ghosts in so I went into reading this book with trepidation. I don't know what I was so worried about as this book was awesome.

Naomi, who is the main character, was a sweet, but stubborn (in a good way) female lead. She was determined not to back down from her story or the investigation and I admired her for that as no matter how dangerous it got for her she was going to see it through to the end.

I don't want to mention any of the other characters as I feel that it could give away spoilers, but each and everyone that we were introduced to had a part to play in the story and they were all characters that were fleshed out & had substance to them. One of my pet hates are secondary characters who are flimsy and are just there in a story because the author needed to fill it out. I'm happy to say that Mya has not fallen foul to that in this book, or any of her other books which I've read so far.

This really was a beautiful story which I enjoyed reading. It kept me on my toes as just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next we're thrown one curveball after the other. I really had no idea how the book was going to end and it had me on the edge of my seat right to the very end. That made a change as normally I find I can guess where the book is heading, but there really was no chance of that with Maggie.

This is definitely a book that I'll be going back to re-read, and as someone who's not a fan of ghost stories, that's high praise from me indeed. Maggie gets the full five stars from me, so why don't you go & try it out yourselves and see what an amazing read this is.


No comments:

Post a Comment