Sunday, May 22, 2016

Britt's Review of Elementals: Blood of the Hydra by Michelle Madow


Starting this review not even 24 hours after my last. And there's a good reason for that! I have a tad bit of an addictive personality, and once I get into a good book I am a bottomless pit of gluttony! So pull up a seat I have A LOT more to say this time! 

After posting my review of Elementals: Prophecy of Shadow I immediately went to Amazon and used up one of my SwagBucks gift cards I earned for browsing with their search bar, polls, and surveys. (I'm cheap lol, read for free, still pay the Author! It doesn't get better than that. You can join to: HERE)

Anyways back to the brain drug that is Michelle Madow's Elementals series. Book Two is called " Elementals: Blood of the Hydra" and, it's equally as amazeballs as Book One! Now because I posted Prophecy of Shadows Review yesterday, I'm not going to summarize. If your reading this review to see if you will like Blood of the Hydra, trust me. You will. But if you read any further spoilers may burn into your eyebibbles. You have been warned ;). If you have read it and are just enjoying a fellow bloggers nonsense then you don't need my summarization anyways, eh?

Before my ramblings start (And, to give the rebels who shouldn't be reading this far another chance to turn around) I'll post the blurb.

"A demigod who can kill with a touch. It's an ability that must be kept secret, even from those trusted most.

Finding out that she was a witch was strange enough, but now Nicole must face the realization that she has the rare power to kill with just a touch. No one can know her secret -- not even Blake, who she's had undeniable chemistry with since first moving to town. 

Now Nicole, Blake, and the three others with elemental powers must stop a series of monsters that they previously believed to be dead from rising once again and destroying the mortal world. The creatures they face on this journey will be more dangerous than anything they've encountered yet. Will they all survive the quest? And how long will it be until Nicole is forced to use her ability to kill in front of everyone, revealing the true darkness of her powers? 

Find out in The Blood of the Hydra, and join the Elementals on their quest to save the world -- or die trying"


We start off this story in the training room, where we get to see our Elementals honing their skills. When Blake walks in I get exactly what I want. We find out that between books Blake actually keeps his word and ends things with Danielle. But, our heroine still keeps her distance. Why? Because she's an amazing person and even though Danielle was horrible to her, she doesn't want to flaunt a relationship with Blake in her face. As we learned in book one, these 5 are a group that's going to have to get used to each other.

The character growth in Blood of the Hydra is PARFAIT. :3 Everything is moving along flawlessly. All of our favorite crew has explored and discovered new parts of their magic. Although I think Nicole has so much more potential then she knows. She explores her 'witch' magic completely, she's got that in the bag. But her Demigod powers? She hasn't even realised she can probably do any number of super frawsome things that the other more diluted witches wouldn't even think to try. 

I'm hoping in Book Three -Elementals: The Head of Medusa we will get so see that growth for Nicole. I would love to see her surpass Blake and Danielle in the 'cool shit I can do' category. Now she does have one new power that causes her some stress and turmoil, one she keeps a secret. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you've read book one. However so much unfolds to that part of the story, and without giving anything away I'm rather disappointed in our heroine for not figuring it out before the Head Elder in Greece had to spell it out to her. She has got to stop thinking of herself as a witch, she is a Demigod, but without demi-gods around to teach her will it ever happen?

We do get to meet more Demi-gods in Book Two, and it is pure roller coaster as long as they're around. Ethan and Rachel are the children of Zeus, who we also get to meet. 

One of my favorite things about Blood of the Hydra is the sneaky deaky way Apollo reaches out to Nicole. It's done well, he providers her with communication to him, but doesn't tell her. When she can't figure out her book, or her necklace, he leave a very straight forward note. Just like in any traditional Greek myth the God has love for its children but refuse to dote on them. They must work for what they want. I just abso-love it <3.

Bad boy Blake never gives up. And good on him, that's how you get the girl! I am very happy with the progression of Nicole and Blake's relationship. Michelle doesn't make you wait around for ever to get results. Once again her fast paced reputation is true. But not so fast that you feel there was no story, she's found a perfect medium.

And excuse me Mrs Madow, but when are we going to see straight-laced, reserved Kate throw caution to the wind and muckle hold of Chris's face and lay one on him? Lol, I know it's unlikely but I'd just love to see her explode after holding it all in and not hold ANYTHING back. I know there's a strong woman in her. And, Chris! OPEN YOUR LOOKERS, she may not be Rachael stunning, but Kate if so mad for you under Rule 164 Section 3 Line 34(b) "Opposites attract. Yin to her Yang, the Better part of you, don't ignore it"

See! Right there in PRINT. So it must be true right? It's been permanently posted into cyber space on the internet. That give it credit right? :P But then again is Michelle gave me everything I wanted now, there would be no story left for Books 3, 4, & 5! Yeeeehaw! Yes I said 5. If you're part of Michelle Madows newsletter you will already know but for those of you in the dark, let me she'd some light!

Michelle decided while writing book four that she wrote the perfect ending in the MIDDLE of the story, so she breaking them up! And because of that random writers premonition we get a whole 5th book. The Book Gods work in miraculous ways, don't you think?

Anywhoooo (it wouldn't be a Brittaini review without that word I feel ;).) The Elementals has earned Another 5 STAR review from this chickie boo boo #Booknerd right here! Much love to Ms. Madow, May you write long and prosper! I'll see you just around the bend for The Head of Medusa! <3

Brittaini Over & Out

No comments:

Post a Comment