Monday, May 30, 2016

Jem's review of Bound By Magic by Jasmine Walt


With the silver murders solved and her training as a mage underway, Sunaya figured her life would get easier. But between the Chief Mage's packed schedule and the grunt work demanded of her as an apprentice mage, magic lessons are few and far between. Worse, her apprenticeship leaves little time for her job as an Enforcer, and without bounties Sunaya’s money pouch is drying up -- fast. 

Even so, when Shiftertown Inspector Boon Lakin asks for Sunaya’s help digging deeper into the murder of a fellow Enforcer, Sunaya has no trouble making room in her life to help him. The trail leads them to a series of crimes victimizing shifters for the entertainment of vicious humans. Sunaya and her friends race to identify the perpetrators and free the survivors, and the stakes are heightened when she discovers one of the victims has a connection to her. But if Sunaya is not careful, she may end up a very dead shifter herself... 

This is the second book in The Baine chronicles by Jasmine Walt and yes, I did read this in only a few hours, but it is a shorter book than the first one and looking at the third book which is currently out that's even shorter, only 82 pages!!! Now that makes me feel a bit cheated as it seems that we're getting into novella books rather than full books with them.

Anyway, I've digressed from my review. Whilst I still enjoyed this book, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. I felt that it dragged a bit in places and wasn't as action packed, even though the book was shorter than the first the story just felt that it was missing something to keep me entertained. There also weren't as many scenes between Naya & Iannis, which I missed or as much of Fenris, who I definitely think is a great character and has a great story to tell. I did enjoy though that Boon Lakin had a presence in this book and even though I'm shipping Naya & Iannis as a couple, liked the flirtation between Boon & Naya.

I'm giving this book 4 stars as even though I'm still enjoying the series, I felt that this story was rushed and didn't hold the same capture for me as the first one did. There was not as much interaction between any of the characters and some of the characters who played important & entertaining parts in the first book only had very small appearances in this one. I feel that Jasmine has lost a bit of the pizzazz that was evident in the first book and I'm not sure if she decided to cut back or was made to cut back and cut scenes out but I do hope that she comes back in the rest of the series as it has a great story line and some interesting character potential. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment